1.06.2011

Book 1 of 15 -- The Glass Castle

Have you ever been working on a long email, document, blog post and then {{{POOF!}}} it's gone?  Yeah, that just happened to me.  Can you see the thrilled look on my face???  Well, let's try all this again, shall we?
My second New Year's Resolution was to read 12-15 books this year.  On January 2nd I started The Glass Castle.  You can purchase it HERE.
Title: The Glass Castle
Author: Jeannette Walls
Genre: Memoir
Pages: 288
Rating: *****/*****
Started: 1.2.2011
Completed: 1.5.2011
I completed this book in just 3 short days.  It was a really simple and exciting read.  I hadn't even read the back of this book because so many people had told me that I just HAD to read it.  It wasn't until I was finished with it that I realized it was a memoir.  The details of the story are threaded together in such a wonderful way that I just found myself gliding from sentence to sentence, chapter to chapter, year to year in her life.  It tells the tales of living with her 2 sisters and 1 brother in a "home" full of uncertainty, raised by an alcoholic father and a mentally unstable, extremely irresponsible mother.  The bounce from town to town, house to house, lifestyle to lifestyle.  Lice, dirtiness, lack of electricity and heat, and empty pantries and refrigerators were the norm for Jeanette and her family.  This certainly makes me look around my home and my life and take an extra moment to be thankful and appreciative.  It's a story of great dedication to make something of yourself against all odds.  I'd highly recommend this book.

IMG_5799

No comments: